Monday, December 31, 2001

Found Landscapes

Found Landscape #3: Stone with rippling water
plywood, oil paint, stone, wax
2001
2' x 4'

Found Landscape #4: Sun and horizon line
plywood, oil paint, pencil, wax
2001
2' x 4'

These pieces are from the series Found Landscapes in which I chose plywood panels (from the hardware store) with woodgrain patterns suggestive of landscape features. I brought the features out by staining the panels with oil paint.

In the first piece, I collaged a smooth stone in the center of a concentric ripple pattern and then accentuated the pattern by staining with blue paint. In the second, I used yellow paint to stain over a 1/4 circle shape in the upper left corner. Then I outlined the shape and drew sun rays with pencil to suggest a child-like symbol for the sun.

No comments: